Saturday, October 18, 2014

Quilts for kids...

This week has been the start of quilt making for the children on Wanblee Indian Reservation, and I have been busy!  A few months ago a favorite customer of mine was cleaning out her craft room and she asked me if I knew anyone that would want a whole bunch of fabric.  I said I would love to have it so I could make quilts for kids!  The next day she dropped off two garbage bags full of fabric and told me that most of it was Christmas themed.  Well, Christmas fabric will make warm quilts and if kids are cold, then I'm making Christmas quilts!
I went through my stash and found two quilt tops that were completed (by the sewing machine) and I made four tops, three Christmas and one kitty.  I had to take a break from all the Christmas fabric, there is only so much red an green my eyes can take!  I also asked a couple of quilty friends to help and I think they are making 5-6 quilts so that means I need to make 18 quilts to reach my goal of 24 quilts (or more) to send out with the November/December trip...

Info about Wanblee...they are part of the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation and conditions there are shocking! You can read more about it here  For the last two years I have been getting donations and sending all my kids clothes, coats ect out there to help!  My husbands family also started a non profit organization that works directly with the people so we know they are getting the help that is needed, where it is needed.
Click here to go to Families Working Together Facebook Page to see all the good that has been done!  You can see a lot of my family in the pictures!

Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts

4 comments:

  1. Wow, so much good you and your family are doing! More people need to step up when there is a need in this country and stop turning a blind eye! Keep up the great work and God bless the people of Wanblee ,your family and the volunteers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're great quilts - though I know what you mean about feeling the need to take a break from all the red and green after a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a nice break but now its back to red and green again!

      Delete